What is special about this course?
The Health & Safety (First Aid) regulations 1981, place a responsibility on all employers to provide adequate and appropriate first aid provision for their employees. This course is ideal for low hazard environments (e.g. offices, shops, libraries) or where you identify a requirement for a first aider trained in emergency first aid at work. The certificate is valid for 3 years. HSE highly recommends that annual ½ day refresher training takes place yearly during the 3 years of the valid certification.
There are no entry requirements.
On completion of training, successful candidates should be able to:
- understand the role of the first-aider, including reference to: the importance of preventing cross-infection
- the need for recording incidents and actions
- use of available equipment
- assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- administer first aid to a casualty who is unconscious (including seizure)
- administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
- administer first aid to a casualty who is wounded and bleeding
- administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock
- provide appropriate first aid for minor injuries (including small cuts, grazes and bruises, minor burns and scalds, small splinters).
How will I study my course?
- Short course
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Fort William
Call your local college centre for up to date information and to register your interest.
The course costs £95 which includes assessment and certification.
Funding of up to £200 is available to help with payment of course fees, depending on your personal circumstances.
This support will be available for people who are 16 or over, living in Scotland and either in low paid work or actively seeking work. To be eligible, you must have income of £22,000 a year or less, or be on certain benefits.
You will also not be undertaking any secondary, further or higher education, SDS funded training or participating on the Community Jobs Scotland programme.
Please contact your local college centre for more information about funding, or call us on 01397 874000.
What can I do on completion of my course?
You can progress onto the 3 day First Aid at Work course. This will be a useful certificate to add to your CV.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.