What is special about this course?
This full day course is a pre-requisite for entry to the Merchant Navy. A certificate is issued by the college on behalf of the Maritime Coastal Agency (MCA)following MCA required standards of training and syllabus.
The course covers basic induction training in safety procedures, accident prevention and familiarises new seafarers with employment and working conditions aboard a ship.
Students develop knowledge, understanding and practical competence in areas critical to marine safety.
There are no formal entry requirements.
- Complying with emergency procedures
- Take precautions to prevent pollution of the marine environment
- Observe safe working practices
- Understand orders and be understood in relation to shipboard duties
- Contribute to effective human relationships on board ship
- Types of emergency which may occur, contingency plans for responses to emergencies
- Action to take on discovering a potential emergency
- Emergency signals, actions and specific duties allocated to crew members in the muster list
- Muster stations; correct use of personal safety equipment
- Value of training and drills
- Knowledge of escape routes and internal communication and alarm systems
- Effect of operational or accidental pollution of the marine environment
- Basic environmental protection procedures
- Importance of adhering to safe working practices at all times
- Safely and protective devices available to protect against potential hazards aboard ship
- Precautions to be taken prior to entering enclosed spaces
- Familiarisation with international measure concerning accident prevention and occupational health
- Importance of maintaining good human working relationships aboard ship
- Social responsibilities; employment conditions; individual rights and obligations
- Dangers of drug and alcohol abuse
How will I study my course?
A mixture of class room based work and practical demonstrations.
How long will my course last?
1 day: 9am 5pm
This course can be scheduled in any of our 10 college centres. Call for information and to express your interest.
Where can I study my course?
- Fort William
£100.00 Certificate from Marine and Coastguard Agency (MCA)
You may be eligible for an Individual Training Account (ITA) from Skills Development Scotland to help pay for this course.
Skills Development Scotland (SDS) Individual Training Accounts are for people who are 16 or over, living in Scotland and either in low paid work or actively seeking work. You must have an income of £22,000 a year or less or be on certain benefits to be eligible to get up to £200 towards the cost of learning or training.
You can apply for an ITA if you are not undertaking any secondary, further or higher education, SDS funded training or participating on the Community Jobs Scotland programme.
ITAs are available if you are interested in learning something new or developing an existing skill to support you in work. There is a wide range of courses to choose from and you can study with any ITA approved learning provider, including learning centres, local colleges, universities and private training providers. To find out more or to apply, visit myworldofwork.co.uk
What can I do on completion of my course?
As a pre-requisite for entry to the Merchant Navy, this certificate will improve your employment options in the marine industries.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.