Business and Marketing NPA
What is special about this course?
This part time qualification allows you to study business and marketing, from home, at your local college centre or as CPD in the workplace.
- Successful completion can:
- Improve your chances of securing employment in a business or marketing role
- Improve your chances of being accepted for promotion
- Allow progressing onto further study
- Gain the skills required to secure employment working from home.
Lecturers deliver classes live via an online virtual classroom, making the course content accessible from anywhere with an internet connection.
Throughout the course, you will be assessed by means of a combination of individual practical tasks, group work, and open and closed book assessments. You may have to attend a college centre or other exam centre for some of these. This can be discussed with you on application.
No formal requirements, however, candidates must demonstrate that they are suited to remote independent learning. Candidates are also expected to demonstrate some ICT skills training at level 5. This may be through the achievement of relevant National Units or employment experience.
Entry is at the discretion of the College and all candidates will be invited to attend a short information session prior to starting on the course.
During this short course you will study the following units:
- Management of marketing and operations
- Marketing: basic principles and applications
- Understanding business
- Skills for customer care
- Events organisation
- Provide learners with knowledge and skills which are directly relevant to current and/or future practice in the area of Business and Marketing
- Learners will also be able to broaden knowledge and skills by undertaking study in the following areas: market research, promotion, event organisation, customer care and selling skills
- Provide opportunities for the learner development of skills and aptitudes that will improve learners’ employment potential and career development within this business area
- Provide learners with specific business related skills demanded by employers
- Prepare learners for entry to higher level awards
- Prepare learners for employment
- Encourage learners to take charge of their own learning and development
Internet connection and a suitable device with headphones, microphone and camera (minimum spec) is required. Please email us if you have any concerns about connectivity or equipment.
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
Attendance of weekly live online classes and accessing learning materials through our virtual learning environment.
Some elements of the course can be studied flexibly. This can be discussed on application.
Please note that this course is studied as infill into our full time NQ Business, Administration and Marketing/ NQ Business Tourism and Marketing courses.
How long will my course last?34 Weeks
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by means of a combination of individual practical tasks, group work and open and closed book assessments throughout the year. You may have to attend a college centre or other exam centre for some of these – we can discuss this with you on application.
Where can I study my course?
- From anywhere with an internet connection including your local college centre
Please note, UHI West Highland will be changing its name to UHI North, West and Hebrides in August 2023, subject to Scottish Government approval. This will not impact on your choice of course or how and where you will study.
Semester 1 (Sept-Jan) | 9.5 hours (7.5 hours of classes and 2 hours of suggested study time per week).
Semester 2: (Jan-June) | 4.5 hours (3.5 hours of classes and 1 hour of suggested study time per week).
This course costs £440
A Fee Waiver or funding of up to £200 could be available to help with payment of course fees, depending on your personal circumstances. This support will be available for people who are 16 or over, living in Scotland and either in low paid work or actively seeking work. To be eligible, you must have income of £22,000 a year or less, or be on certain benefits.
You will also not be undertaking any secondary, further or higher education, SDS funded training or participating on the Community Jobs Scotland programme.
Please contact your local college centre for more information about eligibility, or call us on 01397 874000.
What can I do on completion of my course?
We have other related NPA courses that may be of interest:
- NPA Business with Information Technology
- NPA Travel & Tourism
- NPA Information Technology and Audio
- PC Passport
Completion of our NPAs may allow access to our full time HE Business and Admin courses, or work based SVQ qualifications.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Business and Marketing NPA
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI West Highland. Please note, UHI West Highland will be changing its name to UHI North, West and Hebrides in August 2023, subject to Scottish Government approval. This will not impact on your choice of course or how and where you will study. UHI West Highland operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.