Personal Licence Holder (Serve Wise)

What is special about this course?

This is a mandatory qualification for people applying to become a personal licence holder. This would benefit those with supervisory responsibilities in licensed premises. This course is not suitable for existing personal licence holders. They should look at the refresher training.

Entry requirements

No entry requirements. Suitable for both on and off-licence candidates. This course is not suitable for existing personal licence holders. They should look at the refresher training.

During the course you will cover the following areas -

  • Licensing Law, Alcohol and People Skills
  • Legal responsibilities
  • Social responsibilities
  • The law surrounding children
  • Sensible promotion of drinks and drinking behaviour
  • Best practice and standard setting
  • Refusal of service
  • Prevention of conflict
  • Customer care

How will I study my course?

  • Short course

How long will my course last?

This is a 1 day course with pre course and follow up home study required.  A 40 question multiple choice assessment will be completed at the end of the course.

Where can I study my course?

  • Auchtertyre
  • Broadford
  • Fort William
  • Gairloch
  • Kilchoan
  • Kinlochleven
  • Mallaig
  • Portree
  • Strontian
  • Ullapool

Start date

Various dates available, contact your local college centre for your next available course.

How much will my course cost?

£150, this includes course handbook, examination and certification.

What funding can I apply for?

You may be eligible for an Individual Training Account (ITA) from Skills Development Scotland to help pay for this course.

Skills Development Scotland (SDS) Individual Training Accounts are for people who are 16 or over, living in Scotland and either in low paid work or actively seeking work. You must have an income of £22,000 a year or less or be on certain benefits to be eligible to get up to £200 towards the cost of learning or training.

You can apply for an ITA if you are not undertaking any secondary, further or higher education, SDS funded training or participating on the Community Jobs Scotland programme.

ITAs are available if you are interested in learning something new or developing an existing skill to support you in work. There is a wide range of courses to choose from and you can study with any ITA approved learning provider, including learning centres, local colleges, universities and private training providers. To find out more or to apply, visit

What can I do on completion of my course?

You can apply to be a licence holder of a licenced premises through your local Council Licensing Board.

Is there more information available online?

You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.

Apply for Personal Licence Holder (Serve Wise)

To apply for this course, please contact your

local college centre.

Search again