Higher Maths SCQF 6
Mathematics is important in everyday life. It helps us to make sense of the world we live in and to manage our lives. Using mathematics enables us to model real-life situations and make connections and informed predictions. It equips us with the skills we need to interpret and analyse information, simplify and solve problems, assess risk and make informed decisions.
This course is delivered by blended learning, using an online learning platform, Webex and our virtual learning environment (VLE) called Brightspace. Learning materials will be provided as a mixture of paper-based and through the VLE, Brightspace. You will work through the learning materials and complete tasks as requested by your lecturer. During induction students will learn how to use the VLE, which is an integral part of the course delivery.
Blended | Monday 5pm - 8pm
Additionally, you will participate each week in 1 (one hour) online tutorial which will be confirmed when your class starts.
This course is delivered by blended learning, using an online learning platform - Webex and our virtual learning environment (VLE) called Brightspace.
You will have to attend an assessment centre to complete:
- Closed book assessment (potentially in November)
- Final Exam
Your lecturer will discuss this with you.
The course aims to:
- motivate and challenge you by enabling you to select and apply mathematical techniques in a variety of mathematical situations
- develop confidence in the subject and a positive attitude towards further study in mathematics and the use of mathematics in employment
- deliver in-depth study of mathematical concepts and the ways in which mathematics describes our world
- allow you to interpret, communicate and manage information in mathematical form, skills which are vital to scientific and technological research and development
- deepen your skills in using mathematical language and exploring advanced mathematical ideas
The evening sessions, which you will attend from home, are mandatory. Further to these, you will be expected to join a one-hour online tutorial once a week; this can also be done from home. There is also an element of self-study which will be required each week; students should allow at least 2 hours per week for this.
To gain the award of the course, students must achieve all the component units, complete a written folio and external exam.
Where you can go...
Higher Maths is an entry requirement for many university courses and is a valued qualification by employers.
You will require to have at least 3 passes at National 5 level, including Maths.
You will be expected to have achieved Maths SCQF Level 5 or equivalent. An entrance test must be undertaken if you have not achieved an appropriate English course. You should apply for this course and sit the entrance assignment, if necessary. Entry will be at the discretion of the college.