Closing the gap between classroom and workplace
Foundation Apprenticeships are available to pupils in S5-S6. They provide a work based learning opportunity, typically lasting 12-24 months and are studied alongside other subjects.
They offer a unique combination of classroom learning and work placements with relevant local employers giving valuable exposure to the world of work.
Who is it for?
Foundation Apprenticeships are available for pupils entering the senior phase of school. In general they are suited to pupils who:
- are capable of working at SCQF Level 6 (the same level as a Higher)
- have a high level of motivation and commitment to learn
- want the chance to get out of the classroom and gain real work skills and experience
- want to try out a particular industry to help decide if it’s the right career for you
What are the benefits?
- a Foundation Apprenticeship is the same level of learning as a Higher (SCQF6). The difference is that you are assessed as you go along, so there’s no final exam.
- the time you spend on your work experience placement will give you technical workplace knowledge, plus confidence, communication and teamwork skills.
- you can use your Foundation Apprenticeship to get into a Modern Apprenticeship, Graduate Apprenticeship, or straight to work. It also counts as one of your entry qualifications into colleges and universities across Scotland.
What FA's are available at West Highland College UHI?
- Social Services Children & Young People
- Social Services & Healthcare
- Business Skills
- Creative Digital Media
- IT Software Development
In order to ensure that all senior phase pupils in our 9 High Schools have equal opportunities to benefit from Foundation Apprenticeships, we deliver these across all schools during the same scheduled sessions in the timetables. Google hangouts enable pupils and staff to easily communicate with each other in the virtual classroom and all are delivered by a West Highland College UHI lecturer. Suitable work experience will be arranged locally for each pupil.
So, in summary:
Foundation Apprenticeships give you the opportunity to work on real projects and to develop the skills, experience and knowledge that you will need when you leave school. You will:
- achieve the Foundation Apprenticeship while still at school
- gain a qualification recognised by employers
- gain important skills that employers are looking for in areas such as teamwork and problem solving, communication, confidence, timekeeping and the right work place attitude
- gain valuable work experience with local employers
- boost your CV or application for college, university or work
- broaden your career options