Care Experienced


We would like to encourage more college and university applications from people who are care experienced and we are committed to supporting you.

If you would like to visit any of our college centres, we have regular open days or you can contact the Student Services team to organise an individual campus tour. You might like to start by browsing our Prospectus.

Who is care experienced?

We understand it can be confusing to work out if you would be considered 'care experienced' or not.

The term refers to anyone who has been or is currently in care or from a looked-after background at any stage in their life, no matter how short, including adopted children who were previously looked-after. This care may have been provided in a one of many different settings such as in residential care, foster care, kinship care, or through being looked-after at home with a supervision requirement (definition as used by the Scottish Funding Council)

When you apply for a place at college or university you will be asked to indicate if you are care experienced on your application form. We strongly advise you share this information, as it gives us the opportunity to offer additional support and guidance so you can start off in the best position.

After you have accepted your place

Your first year at college or university can still feel a bit daunting. Once you have accepted a place on one of our courses, we have a range of services here to help and support you. A member of the student support team will be available and willing to help with any challenges that may arise.

If you wish to discuss the additional support available, a meeting will be made between you and a member of the relevant Student Services Team. The information you provide during this process will help us create a support plan to identify and implement appropriate support for you during your studies.


We understand that accommodation requirements are often particularly important for care experienced students. We can provide 365 day a year accommodation if required.

Your Guidance Officers will be happy to discuss your accommodation needs and offer any advice or support required in this area at any time during your studies. Email or call 01397 874000.

Funding for care experienced students

Additional financial support may be available to care experienced students. You can learn more here under the Further Education funding heading.

If you would like to discuss your financial support arrangements to ensure you receive the support you are entitled to please contact our Student Funding Team on or 01397 874000.

Please also see the University of the Highlands and Islands website for further information and useful links.