Holiday Toolkit


The College will close for the festive period on Thursday 22nd December 2022 and re-open on Friday 6th January 2023.

We are aware that the Christmas break can be different for everyone. As the holidays approach, you may feel a little anxious or stressed about experiencing a change to your routine. We want to reassure you that, if the winter break feels stressful or causes you to worry, there is still lots of support available to you.

Please find below some useful links to a range of services and organisations who are there to support all our students over the festive period.

Wellbeing and Mental Health content

Wellbeing and Mental Health

Cost of living

With the rapid rise in cost-of-living we are doing everything we can to help support our students through this time. Find out more.

Health and Wellbeing

Useful links to health and wellbeing resources for students and local support organisations:

  • The university's health and wellbeing Facebook page provides resources and links to help you to maintain your mental wellbeing.
  • Ewen’s Room is a mental health and wellbeing charity based in the West Highlands of Scotland.
  • Students have access to Togetherall, a digital mental health support service which is available online, 24/7, and is completely anonymous so you can express yourself freely and openly.
  • Spectrum.Life is a free, 24/7 out of hours mental health support service, staffed by trained therapists and counsellors.
  • Mikeysline offer non-judgemental, confidential, peer support.
  • You can call the Samaritans on 116 123 to talk to someone at any time, day or night

NHS Services

Student Health Guide | This useful guide on the NHS inform website will help you use NHS services to get the care you need quickly and safely.

Register with your local GP

If you are living away from home and have not already done so, make sure you register for a new local GP Practice. This will allow you to get the care and mental health support you might need and is an important step to allow you to access your local authority’s support.

Emergency/urgent help

If you're in immediate danger of hurting yourself or others:

  • Go directly to the Accident & Emergency (A&E) department of your local hospital to get help
  • Call 999 to request an ambulance if you are unable to reach the hospital yourself

If you're feeling distressed and need urgent support:

  • Contact your GP surgery to request an emergency appointment
  • NHS 24's 111 service is here to provide urgent care advice and mental health support day or night. NHS 24 Information about the Coronvirus Mobile Testing Unit can be found on the NHS Highland facebook page.