Support for Care Leavers


We would like to encourage more college and university applications from care leavers and anyone who has previously been cared for by a local authority - this could be in residential care, in foster care, cared for by friends or relatives, or cared for at home. We are committed to supporting you if you have a background in care.

If you would like to visit any of our college centres, we have regular open days or you can contact the Student Services team to organise an individual campus tour. You might like to start by browsing our Prospectus.

When you apply for a place at college or university you will be asked to indicate if you have been in care on your application form. We strongly advise you share this information, as it gives us the opportunity to offer additional support and guidance so you can start off in the best position.

After you have accepted your place

Your first year at college or university can still feel a bit daunting. Once you have accepted a place on one of our courses, we have a range of services here to help and support you. A member of the student support team will be available and willing to help with any challenges that may arise.

If you wish to discuss the additional support available, a meeting will be made between you and a member of the relevant Student Services Team. The information you provide during this process will help us create a support plan to identify and implement appropriate support for you during your studies.


We understand that accommodation requirements are often particularly important for students leaving care. We can provide 365 day a year accommodation if required.

Your Guidance Officer will be happy to discuss your accommodation needs and offer any advice or support required in this area. Contact Jenna MacLean, who will be happy to discuss your student support arrangements at any time during your studies. Email or call her on 01397 874380.

Funding for Care Leavers

Additional financial support may be available to care experienced students. You can learn more here under the Further Education funding heading.

If you would like to discuss your financial support arrangements to ensure you receive the support you are entitled to please contact our Student Funding Team on 01397 874040.