Fees and funding

Further education funding content

Further education funding

Further education funding

Course fees

If you have been living in the UK/EU/EEA for at least 3 years, are ordinarily resident in Scotland before the course start date, and you have not received funding for a course at the same level before, it is likely that you will not have to pay fees for your full time course.
If you have received funding in the past you might still be eligible for further funding but please contact our Student Funding Adviser for more information before completing an application form.
Fee costs for degrees and Higher National awards appear on the fees/funding tab on individual course pages.

Bursaries, grants and allowances

Student funding is cash limited and is available to eligible students on a first come - first served basis.  Every effort is made to ensure that funding is fairly distributed therefore  you may find that the amount of your award is less than you had anticipated in order to extend the funds available to as many students as possible.

Funding application forms for your Further Education course are available online through the College website.  We use one form to assess your eligibility to EMA allowances, bursary allowances for living costs, travel and study costs, essential books, uniform and equipment for your course, childcare costs and accommodation costs.

From 1 January 2016, the EMA programme has been expanded to include part-time non-advanced college courses. Check with the College’s Funding Officer to ascertain if you will be eligible for this funding.

When you have accepted your unconditional offer of a place on your chosen course, we send you the details of how to access the application form with login details for your online HUB account.

Once you have completed your application to the college for funding you will be able to track its progress through your online HUB account and access any letters about your award.  Your HUB account will be your central point for your college life, offering you many services and tools including funding.  If an award has been made, then the award letter will tell you how much you have been awarded and when the payments will be made. You will have a separate letter for each fund. There are also accompanying documents which tell you how we have calculated your award.  EMA payments are made fortnightly in arrears and Bursary payments are made 2 weeks in advance and 2 weeks in arrears, every 4 weeks.

There is a limit on the amount of Childcare funding available per application so please be aware that the full cost of your childcare provision may not be covered.  Student Services will be able to advise you on the maximum amount you may be eligible for depending on your circumstances. If you have been awarded funds for Childcare costs, then you will also need to submit a Childcare Expense Claim Form each week for payment to be made to your childcare provider.  You can obtain these from Student Services.

Please be aware that you will be required to submit documentary evidence to support your application and that it can take up to 4 weeks from the date of receipt of the final piece of documentary evidence requested to process your application therefore you should make allowances for this when you commence your course.

Higher education funding content

Higher education funding

Higher education funding

Funding for your full time Higher Education course is available online through SAAS.  They use one form to assess your entitlement to Course Fees, Student Loans for Living Costs, Young Persons Bursary, Independent Students Bursary and other supplementary grants for Dependants, Lone Parents and Vacation Grant for Care Leavers.

The Student Awards Agency for Scotland
Gyleview House
3 Redheughs Rigg
EH12 9HH.

t: 0300 555 0505 (for General enquiries choose option 4)
f: 0131 244 5887

If you need help with Childcare costs this application form is also available online on the College website through the UHI Discretionary Childcare Funds and Lone Parent Childcare Grant. You can apply for this if you have accepted your unconditional offer of a place on your chosen course, you should contact Student Services and we will send you the details of how to access the application with login details for your online HUB account.

If you need help from the UHI Discretionary Funds you should contact Student Services to establish eligibility and you can obtain an application form from them for this purpose.

Our HE Fee information is available from the university website :

Budgeting content



Whether becoming a full time or part time student, you may find it useful to draft a monthly budget.

This will help you to determine whether the method of study is appropriate to you and your family’s circumstances and help to ensure you are accessing all the funding available to you.  You may find a Budget Planner helpful.

Being a full time student will have an effect on your finances because of the change in your income and the way you are paid.  Also, you may be able to increase your income by taking a part-time job, getting help from the Childcare Funds, Hardship Funds or from a Trust and Foundation search.  All of these can ease the cost of study.

Additionally, you may decide to use your personal savings and reduce costs by accessing a Student Bank/Building Society account which offer the benefits of discount schemes with National stores etc. as well as offering interest free overdrafts.  You may also be able to rearrange any existing personal loan repayment terms to help reduce monthly bills.

While a student, you may be offered additional options such as Credit Cards and Store Cards, if you don’t already have them.  These are very easy to use and are often used by students.  However, be aware that these are among the most expensive methods of spreading the payment of goods.

Finance content



The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies.

Our Student Finance Advisors can advise you on all aspects of student funding, from tuition fees and bursaries to help with housing, childcare and travel costs. The support available depends upon what you will be studying with us, how you choose to study, as well as your personal circumstances.

If you’ve got any financial concerns regarding your course before you start, or you need help with the  funding application forms, including our Bursaries, Education Maintenance Allowances, Childcare Funds, Hardship Funds or SAAS funding for Higher Education courses then please do not hesitate to contact us or drop into Student Services.

Online FE and HE funding application

To apply for your Further Education EMA, Bursary, Childcare or Discretionary Hardship Funds OR to apply for your Higher Education Discretionary Hardship, Childcare Fund (including Lone Parent Childcare Grant Application) , you must first have :

  • Accepted your unconditional offer of a place on the course
  • Received a letter/e-mail with your Login and password

If you have these please log into the UHI Student Journey site here.

Young Scot National Entitlement Card content

Young Scot National Entitlement Card

Young Scot National Entitlement Card

The National Entitlement Card is FREE for all young people aged 11 to 26.

This means cheaper transport for young people on buses, trains and ferries across Scotland.


The card will let you access all of the services you get from your Young Scot card. These include:

  • discounts and rewards across Scotland - on shopping, eating out, going to the cinema and just having fun - visit www.youngscot.org/discounts for full details
  • discounts and rewards in 42 European countries - check out www.euro26.org for details.

Young Scot
Rosebery House
9 Haymarket Terrace
EH12 5EZ