West Highland College is keen to welcome international students and staff including EU citizens who wish to study or work here.

Students travel from across the world to study here drawn by our adventure and marine related degrees and other courses.

Our location, right at the foot of Ben Nevis (Britain’s highest mountain) is perfect; we couldn’t have found a more apt location for outdoor activities anywhere else in Britain. Amazing paddling rivers of all grades flow from the mountains, which make up our ‘natural playground’; all set against the marvellous landscapes of the West Coast of Scotland and the islands of Skye, Rum, Eigg, Canna and Muck.

We are the fastest growing School of Adventure Studies in the UK and our teaching team includes exceptionally talented lecturers who are both highly experienced in the adventure tourism world and publish in the field.

Rise to the challenge of studying and working in this wild and varied natural environment – you won’t be disappointed!

Find further advice here on University student visas and funding.

Current Information for EU Students and Staff

If you're planning to begin studying with us before the 31st December 2020 you do not need a visa and can apply once you are here for pre-settled status that will allow you to travel back and forth during your studies.

EU students should consider the possibility of visa requirements to study in the UK after the 31st December 2020 due to Brexit. If the transition period ends as planned on 31st December with a deal then any EU students coming into the country after that date to study will require a Tier 4 student visa and will need to be sponsored by us.

Whilst we realise the situation at the moment in regard to studying and living in the UK is somewhat uncertain, what remains clear is how much we value the contribution to our academic community from colleagues and students who are European Union nationals - you are a vital and essential part of our organisation.

We’ve included some links here which you might find helpful for reference.

An Open Letter from the Scottish Government on support for EU citizens, containing information on the support and advice available to students and staff.

Information about the package of support available to you.

Brexit Further information on the possible impacts on our organisation as an academic partner of University of the Highlands and Islands.