First Steps to our Degree Programme
Not everyone is ready to go straight in to degree level study. We have the solution.
Our one-year further education courses can prepare you for the next step, either into employment or further study:
- Outdoor Adventure NQ is a SCQF level 5 equivalent course. Based in Broadford on the Isle of Skye you'll have access to the world famous Cuillin mountains and fantastic locations for paddlesports in sea and freshwater. This course will develop your personal confidence and competence both practically and academically.
- Outdoor Leadership NQ is a SCQF level 6 equivalent course based in Fort William. This course will build on existing academic skills and enable you to develop and share your practical competence by learning about leadership.
These two courses could be the start of your journey. Many of our students progress to degree level study in the School of Adventure Studies on one of these courses:
- Adventure Education BA (Hons)
- Adventure Performance and Coaching BSc (Hons) (Previously BA (Hons))
- Adventure Tourism Management BA (Hons)
- Marine and Coastal Tourism BA (Hons)
Other students are looking to develop skills to allow them to pursue a path in freelance or outdoor centre instruction. You could end up working abroad or transferring your leadership experience into a new field.
Adventure Tourism Management, Adventure Performance and Coaching and Adventure Education have a framework of shared modules in skills and knowledge that all adventure professionals must achieve. This common ground is our Adventure Core and it is built into each of these courses allowing the option to transfer between degrees within the first two years.