Lecturer - Outdoor Adventure
Nineteen years ago, I was working as an Architect in London, when I was mistakenly invited to take part in an expedition to climb some mountains in South America. The expedition took me to 6,900m and I was hooked. As soon as possible afterwards, I moved first to North Wales and then to the Isle of Skye, to develop my newfound passion for all things outdoors. Since then, I have worked in outdoor centres, as a freelance sea kayak guide, and in teaching, where I have discovered another passion - for using the outdoors to help people build confidence and skills that can be put to use in all aspects of their lives.
I am an active volunteer as team leader of Kintail Mountain Rescue Team, and also enjoy rediscovering the outdoors with my own children.
Course Tutor for NQ Outdoor Adventure (Sport and Fitness SCQF level 5)
- Teaching Qualification in Further Education (Masters Level), 2020
- Master of Architecture & Master of City and Regional Planning, University of California, Berkeley, USA, 2002
- BA (Hons) Architecture, University of Cambridge, 1994
Highest National Governing Body Awards
- Winter Mountain Leader
- Advanced Water Sea Kayak Leader
- UKCC Level 2 Kayak and Canoe Coach
- Single Pitch Award (Rock Climbing Instructor)
- Level 1 Cave Leader
Other areas of interest
Mountain rescue; sea kayak expeditions to uninhabited Scottish Islands; caving anywhere!