Fees and funding

further education funding

Course fees

If you have been living in the UK/EU/EEA for at least 3 years, are ordinarily resident in Scotland before the course start date, and you have not received funding for a course at the same level before, it is likely that you will not have to pay fees for your full time course.
If you have received funding in the past you might still be eligible for further funding but please contact our Student Funding Adviser for more information before completing an application form.
Fee costs for degrees and Higher National awards appear on the fees/funding tab on individual course pages.

Bursaries, grants and allowances

In this short film Isla Mann, Bursary Officer at West Highland College UHI gives an introduction to student funding.

Student funding is cash limited and is available to eligible students on a first come - first served basis.  Every effort is made to ensure that funding is fairly distributed therefore  you may find that the amount of your award is less than you had anticipated in order to extend the funds available to as many students as possible.

Funding application forms for your Further Education course are available online through the College website.  We use one form to assess your eligibility to EMA allowances, bursary allowances for living costs, travel and study costs, essential books, uniform and equipment for your course, childcare costs and accommodation costs.

From 1 January 2016, the EMA programme has been expanded to include part-time non-advanced college courses. Check with the College’s Funding Officer to ascertain if you will be eligible for this funding.

When you have accepted your unconditional offer of a place on your chosen course, we send you the details of how to access the application form with login details for your online HUB account.

Once you have completed your application to the college for funding you will be able to track its progress through your online HUB account and access any letters about your award.  Your HUB account will be your central point for your college life, offering you many services and tools including funding.  If an award has been made, then the award letter will tell you how much you have been awarded and when the payments will be made. You will have a separate letter for each fund. There are also accompanying documents which tell you how we have calculated your award.  EMA payments are made fortnightly in arrears and Bursary payments are made 2 weeks in advance and 2 weeks in arrears, every 4 weeks.

There is a limit on the amount of Childcare funding available per application so please be aware that the full cost of your childcare provision may not be covered.  Student Services will be able to advise you on the maximum amount you may be eligible for depending on your circumstances. If you have been awarded funds for Childcare costs, then you will also need to submit a Childcare Expense Claim Form each week for payment to be made to your childcare provider.  You can obtain these from Student Services.

Please be aware that you will be required to submit documentary evidence to support your application and that it can take up to 4 weeks from the date of receipt of the final piece of documentary evidence requested to process your application therefore you should make allowances for this when you commence your course.

higher education funding

Funding for your full time Higher Education course is available online through SAAS.  They use one form to assess your entitlement to Course Fees, Student Loans for Living Costs, Young Persons Bursary, Independent Students Bursary and other supplementary grants for Dependants, Lone Parents and Vacation Grant for Care Leavers.

The Student Awards Agency for Scotland
Gyleview House
3 Redheughs Rigg
EH12 9HH.

t: 0300 555 0505 (for General enquiries choose option 4)
f: 0131 244 5887

If you need help with Childcare costs this application form is also available online on the College website through the UHI Discretionary Childcare Funds and Lone Parent Childcare Grant. You can apply for this if you have accepted your unconditional offer of a place on your chosen course, you should contact Student Services and we will send you the details of how to access the application with login details for your online HUB account.

If you need help from the UHI Discretionary Funds you should contact Student Services to establish eligibility and you can obtain an application form from them for this purpose.

Scotland or EU Country

For students normally resident in Scotland or nationals of an EU country (excluding England, Wales or Northern Ireland) normally resident in the EU (including the UK), studying an undergraduate course (degree, HNC, HND) the following fees apply:

*Fee level has not yet been agreed by the Scottish Government. The indicative fee is shown in the table above.

Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.

In most cases, Scottish and EU domiciled students have their fees paid for them by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

There are a number of other funding options available to Scottish and EU domiciled students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living whilst studying.

Rest of UK (RUK) students

For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term time address in Scotland, studying an undergraduate course (degree, HNC, HND), the following fees apply:

Qualification 2016-17* 2017-18*

BA, BLitt, BA (Hons), BLitt (Hons), MA (Hons) - 120 credits

£8,000 p.a. £8,000 p.a.

BSc, BEng, BSc (Hons), BEng (Hons) - 120 credits

£9,000 p.a. £9,000 p.a.

Higher National Awards (HNC/HND)

£6,510 p.a £6,510 p.a.






* for a consecutive four year full-time degree, only years 1, 2 and 3 incur the fees stated, year 4 is free. For 5-year integrated masters degrees these fees are incurred for 4 of the 5 years.

Please note, Rest of UK domiciled students who began their studies before September 2012 will continue to pay the UK fee (equivalent to the Scottish / EU fee) for the full four years (year 4 is not free). This concession will be lost in 2015 – 2016 or if these students change course or take a self-imposed break.

All HNC and HND courses will be charged at £6,510 per annum for full-time study, including as part of a degree course.

The maximum total fee for a four year full-time degree (fourth year free) is £24,000 (arts) or £27,000 (science).

Courses which comprise an HN award as their first and/or second year will be charged at £6,510 for the first and/or second year and £8,000 (2016-17 BA) or £9,000 (2016-17 BSc, BEng); £8,000 (2017-18 BA) or £9,000 (2017-18 BSc, BEng) for the second and/or third year (fourth year free).

Part-time fees for RUK students are pro-rata to full-time based on 120 degree credits per year (full-time).

2016-17 2017-18

(BA, BLitt)
(BSc, BEng)
(BA, BLitt)
(BSc, BEng
Part-time (per 20 credit module)
£1,340 £1,500 £1,340 £1,500
Part-time (per single HN unit) £434 £434

RUK Bursaries

There are RUK Bursaries available.

There are a number of funding grants and loans available to UK domiciled students (outside Scotland) through the Student Loans Company (SLC).

Online RUK or EU / EAA

For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) or the European Union/EEA, studying an undergraduate degree online from their home country, the following fees apply:

Art, humanities, social sciences, business degrees (3 or 4 years)2016-172017-18
Full-time per year (120 credits) £5,400 £5,400
Part-time per 20 credit module £900 £900
Science and technology degrees (3 or 4 years) 2016-17 2017-18
Full-time per year (120 credits) £6,120 £6,120
Part-time per 20 credit module £1,020 £1,020


International students (students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union) pay the following fees:

Art, humanities, social sciences,
business degrees (3 or 4 years)
Full-time per year (120 credits) £10,000 £5,400 £10,500 £5,775
Part-time per 20 credit module £1,680 £900 £1,750 £963

Science and technology degrees
(3 or 4 years)
Full-time per year (120 credits) £11,000 £6,120 £11,550 £6,350
Part-time per 20 credit module £1,840 £1,020 £1,925 £1,060

Higher National Awards (HNC, HND) Arts, humanities, social sciences, businessOn-site*OnlineOn-site*Online
Full-time per year (15 HN credits) £6,510 n/a £6,510 n/a
Part-time per HN unit £434 n/a £434 n/a

Higher National Awards (HNC, HND) Science and technologyOn-site*OnlineOn-site*Online
Full-time per year £6,510 n/a £6,510 n/a
Part-time per HN unit £434 n/a £434 n/a

*Students with a term-time address in Scotland

As an international student you have a variety of funding opportunities available to you. You can contact our international office for advice on what funding you can apply for.

A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time international undergraduate students for continuous and contiguous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.


Whether becoming a full time or part time student, you may find it useful to draft a monthly budget.  This will help you to determine whether the method of study is appropriate to you and your family’s circumstances and help to ensure you are accessing all the funding available to you.  You may find a Budget Planner helpful.

Being a full time student will have an effect on your finances because of the change in your income and the way you are paid.  Also, you may be able to increase your income by taking a part-time job, getting help from the Childcare Funds, Hardship Funds or from a Trust and Foundation search.  All of these can ease the cost of study.

Additionally, you may decide to use your personal savings and reduce costs by accessing a Student Bank/Building Society account which offer the benefits of discount schemes with National stores etc. as well as offering interest free overdrafts.  You may also be able to rearrange any existing personal loan repayment terms to help reduce monthly bills.

While a student, you may be offered additional options such as Credit Cards and Store Cards, if you don’t already have them.  These are very easy to use and are often used by students.  However, be aware that these are among the most expensive methods of spreading the payment of goods.


The good news is that depending on your personal circumstances there are a wide range of bursaries, grants and allowances available to fund your college studies. Our Student Finance Advisors can advise you on all aspects of student funding, from tuition fees and bursaries to help with housing, childcare and travel costs. The support available depends upon what you will be studying with us, how you choose to study, as well as your personal circumstances.

If you’ve got any financial concerns regarding your course before you start, or you need help with the  funding application forms, including our Bursaries, Education Maintenance Allowances, Childcare Funds, Hardship Funds or SAAS funding for Higher Education courses then please do not hesitate to contact us or drop into Student Services.

Online FE and HE funding application

To apply for your Further Education EMA, Bursary, Childcare or Discretionary Hardship Funds OR to apply for your Higher Education Discretionary Hardship, Childcare Fund (including Lone Parent Childcare Grant Application) , you must first have :

  • Accepted your unconditional offer of a place on the course
  • Received a letter/e-mail with your Login and password

If you have these please log into the UHI Student Journey site here

If you are unsure what is involved, then you can take a look at this video which takes you through the process step-by-step :

young scot card

Young Scot National Entitlement Card

The National Entitlement Card is FREE for all young people aged 11 to 26.  This means cheaper transport for young people on buses, trains and ferries across Scotland.



The card will let you access all of the services you get from your Young Scot card.  These include:

  • discounts and rewards across Scotland - on shopping, eating out, going to the cinema and just having fun - visit www.youngscot.org/discounts for full details
  • discounts and rewards in 42 European countries - check out www.euro26.org for details.


Young Scot
Rosebery House
9 Haymarket Terrace
EH12 5EZ

t: 0808 801 0338   (Mon - Fri, 10am - 6pm)  e: infoline@youngscot.org; www.youngscot.org and  www.youngscot.net